Gold Points FAQ's
Gold Points are a convenient, flexible and safe way to use your SJSU ID Card to purchase goods and services on the SJSU campus. Gold Points are pre-deposited dollars in an individual account, which is accessed by using your SJSU ID or VIP Gold Card.
Gold Points transactions are much faster than purchases made with cash. No more fumbling for cash in the checkout line, no more pocket-full of change. In addition, Gold Points are more secure than cash. If you lose your SJSU ID Card and report it immediately, nobody will be able to access your account until you reactivate it.
Anyone with an SJSU ID or a VIP Gold Card may open a Gold Points account. If you are not a member of the SJSU Community, you can visit the Martin Luther King, Jr. Library or the Spartan Shops office to purchase a VIP Gold Card.
Gold Points can be used at the following locations on campus:
• Spartan Bookstore
• All Union Square Retail Dining Outlets, Dining Commons, Village Market, On Fourth, Jamba Juice, Just Below, Grounded
• Public use Printers in The Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
• Campus public-use printers in the Career Center, Enrollment Services Computer Lab, MacQuarrie Hall Computer Lab, the Science Computer Lab, and the Academic Success Center Lab in Clark Hall.
To get started you need only to add value to your account. Most students, faculty
and staff are automatically set up to use Gold Points and just need to add value to
their account. If you experience any difficulty adding Gold Points either online or
at a Card Value Center, you can:
• Visit the Spartan Shops Gold Points Office where you can pay with Cash, Check, or Credit Card
(we accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover).
• Visit the Dining Commons Office where you can pay with Cash, Check, or Credit Card.
• Call the Gold Points office at (408) 924-1885 with a Credit Card.
Gold Points can be added:
• By visiting the Spartan Shops Office where you can pay with Cash, Check, and Credit Card.
• Online with a credit card (All major credit cards accepted) at http://www.spartanshops.com/goldpoints
• By visiting the Dining Commons Office where you can pay with Cash, Check, and Credit Card.
• By calling the Gold Points office at (408) 924-1885 with a Credit Card.
• Adding cash at the Add Value Station in the King Library, 2nd floor.
Yes, parents may visit the Spartan Shops Gold Points Office, go to the above web site, or they can call (408) 924-1885 to add money to your ID card. They must have your SJSU ID with issuance number. Example: 001234567-11
No, you must use either an SJSU ID card or, if you are a guest of the University, a VIP Gold card.
No, your Gold Points account is associated with your SJSU ID Card. Most new students automatically have their cards enabled for the account. If yours does not seem to work, just call us at (408) 924-1885.
No, there are no transaction fees for using Gold Points.
No, there is no need for a PIN as your card will be swiped at each location. You must present your card at the time of the transaction. This adds to the security of the system.
You can check your balance in any of the following ways:
• Check online when you create an account.
• Check on the "GET Mobile" Gold Points app, available in iTunes and Google Play.
• Ask a cashier at any of the Spartan Dining locations, or ask for a receipt.
• Inquire within the Spartan Shops Gold Points Office.
Only the card owner is allowed to use the value on the card. Cards are not transferable.
The money on the account remains available for your entire SJSU tenure. However, accounts having no activity for two years are subject to imposition of a $1.00/month service fee
If your SJSU ID Card is lost or stolen you should contact the Gold Points office immediately to have your account placed on hold to avoid unauthorized use. Further, you need to visit Student Services to be issued a new SJSU ID Card. Afterward you will also need to visit the Gold Points office to have your new card activated. Only the new card can be used to access your account.
If you encounter problems with your card you should:
• Visit the Spartan Shops Gold Points Office in MacQuarrie Hall or
• Call the Gold Points Office at (408) 924-1885
The message indicates that there might be a problem with your card; please visit the Gold Points office.
Each card is coded differently and only one can be activated to access your account at any time. If your card does not work, visit the Gold Points office to activate it.
Partial withdrawals are not permitted from your Gold Points account.
Accounts with balances of less than $10.00 are eligible for a cash refund. Patrons with account balances of $10.00 or greater will be issued a check, to be mailed within two weeks. Visit the Spartan Shops Gold Points Office to request a refund.
The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Visit the Spartan Shops Gold Points Office (located in MacQuarrie Hall) or call (408) 924-1885